Question: I have an Arizona LLC, but I want to change it to a professional LLC (a PLLC). Is it possible and how do I make the change?
Answer: Yes. An Arizona LLC can be converted to a PLLC and an Arizona PLLC can be converted to an LLC. You convert one type of LLC to the other type by filing an amendment to the Articles of Organization with the Arizona Corporation Commission and then publishing the name change in an ACC approved newspaper after the ACC approves the amendment. The Amendment to the Articles of Organization must be signed by a member of a member managed company or a manager of a manager managed company. The amendment to the Articles of Organization must satisfy the following requirements:
Converting from an LLC to a PLLC:
The Amendment to the Articles of Organization must contain the following provisions:
1. A statement of the new name of the company with the correct ending. Arizona Revised Statutes Section 29-4102.B states:
“A limited liability company organized under a law of this state other than this Article may elect professional limited liability company status by amending its Articles of Organization pursuant to Section 29-3202 to comply with subsection A of this Section and with Section 29-4106.
2. Arizona Revised Statutes Section 29-4106 states:
“The name of a professional limited liability company authorized to transact business in this state shall satisfy the requirements of Section 29-3112, except that the name shall contain the words “professional limited liability company” or the abbreviation “p.l.l.c.”, “p.l.c.”, “pllc” or “plc” in uppercase or lowercase letters.”
2. A statement that the company is a professional limited liability company.
3. A description of the professional service or services that the company is organized to provide.
Converting from a PLLC to an LLC:
The Amendment to the Articles of Organization must satisfy each of the following requirements:
1. It must contain a statement of the new name of the company with the correct ending.
2. It must remove the statement in the Articles of Organization that the company is a professional limited liability company.
3. It must remove the statement in the Articles of Organization that describes the professional service or services that the PLLC was organized to provide.