QuestionMust an Arizona CPA who desires to practice accounting in Arizona form a professional limited liability company (PLLC) or can the CPA form a standard vanilla limited liability company (LLC)?

Answer:  An Arizona CPA can form either an LLC or a PLLC to practice accounting in Arizona.  The following text is taken from the Arizona State Board of Accountancy’s website:

The use of the professional designation, such as PC (Professional Corporation) or PLLC (Professional Limited Liability Company), means that the service being offered may only lawfully be rendered by a person duly licensed in this state, such as those offered by attorneys and CPAs/PAs. The use of the designation, however, is not required to form a CPA firm; for example, if you are considering forming a limited liability company, you can license the firm as an LLC or as a PLLC, but you are not required to license your firm as a PLLC.