Question:  I am not a citizen or resident of the United States who wants to form a U.S. limited liability company.  Can I get a federal employer identification number (EIN) for my LLC and if so, how?

Answer:  The instructions to IRS Form SS-4, explain how a non-U.S. citizen who is a non-resident of the U.S. can get an EIN for his or her LLC.  The instructions say the following:

“Apply by telephone—option available to international applicants only. If you have NO legal residence, principal place of business, or principal office or agency in the U.S. or U.S. possessions, you may call 267-941-1099 (not a toll-free number), 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (Eastern time), Monday through Friday, to obtain an EIN. The person making the call must be authorized to receive the EIN and answer questions concerning Form SS-4.

Note. It will be helpful to complete Form SS-4 before contacting the IRS. An IRS representative will use the information from Form SS-4 to establish your account and assign you an EIN. Write the number you’re given on the upper right corner of the form and sign and date it. Keep this copy for your records.

Apply by fax. Under the Fax-TIN program, you can receive your EIN by fax generally within 4 business days. Complete and fax Form SS-4 to the IRS using the appropriate fax number listed in Where To File or Fax, later. A long-distance charge to callers outside of the local calling area will apply. Fax-TIN numbers can only be used to apply for an EIN. The numbers may change without notice. Fax-TIN is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Be sure to provide your fax number so the IRS can fax the EIN back to you.”