Question: I operate my business through a limited liability company that is taxed as a sole proprietorship. I received an IRS Form W-9 from a vendor who wants my LLC’s employer ID number or my social security number. How do I complete the W-9?
Answer: Here is how you complete the beginning of IRS Form W-9:
- Enter your name in the “Name (as shown on your income tax return)” box.
- Enter the name of your LLC in the “Business name/disregarded entity name, if different from above” box.
- Check the box in the “Check appropriate box for federal tax classification:” box that is to the left of “Individual/sole proprietor.”
- In Part I enter your social security account number.
- Complete the remainder of the form then date and sign it.
The above assumes you did not file either an IRS Form 9932 or 2553 with the IRS to cause the LLC to be taxed as a C corporation or an S corporation, respectively.