In section 13-1208 and in this article, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “Animal” means any animal of a species that is susceptible to rabies, except man.
2. “At large” means being neither confined by an enclosure nor physically restrained by a leash.
3. “County board of health” means the duly constituted board of health of each county.
4. “County enforcement agent” means that person in each county who is responsible for the enforcement of this article and the rules adopted under this article.
5. “County pound” means any establishment authorized by the county board of supervisors for the confinement, maintenance, safekeeping and control of dogs and other animals that come into the custody of the county enforcement agent in the performance of his official duties.
6. “Department” means the department of health services.
7. “Impound” means the act of taking or receiving into custody by the county enforcement agent any dog or other animal for the purpose of confinement in a county pound in accordance with the provisions of this article.
8. “Kennel” means an enclosed, controlled area, inaccessible to other animals, in which a person keeps, harbors or maintains five or more dogs under controlled conditions.
9. “Livestock” means neat animals, horses, sheep, goats, swine, mules and asses.
10. “Owner” means any person keeping an animal other than livestock for more than six consecutive days.
11. “Rabies quarantine area” means any area in which a state of emergency has been declared to exist due to the occurrence of rabies in animals in or adjacent to this area.
12. “Stray dog” means any dog three months of age or older running at large that is not wearing a valid license tag.
13. “Vaccination” means the administration of an anti-rabies vaccine to animals by a veterinarian.
14. “Veterinarian”, unless otherwise indicated, means any veterinarian licensed to practice in this state or any veterinarian employed in this state by a governmental agency.
15. “Veterinary hospital” means any establishment operated by a veterinarian licensed to practice in this state that provides clinical facilities and houses animals or birds for dental, medical or surgical treatment. A veterinary hospital may have adjacent to it or in conjunction with it or as an integral part of it pens, stalls, cages or kennels for quarantine, observation or boarding.
16. “Vicious animal” means any animal of the order carnivora that has a propensity to attack, to cause injury to or to otherwise endanger the safety of human beings without provocation, or that has been so declared after a hearing before a justice of the peace or a city magistrate.