W-7 frequently asked questions:
General ITIN Information
What is an ITIN?
What is an ITIN used for?
- Who needs an ITIN?
How do I know if I need an ITIN?
How do I apply for an ITIN?
When should I apply for an ITIN?
Where can I get help with my ITIN application?
How and when can I expect to receive my ITIN?
REVISED APPLICATION STANDARDS FOR ITINs
- What are the revised application standards for ITINs?
- Why did IRS change from an ITIN card to an authorization letter?
- Why did IRS revise the ITIN application process?
- What documents are acceptable as proof of identity and foreign status?
FORMS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Form W-7
- Form 13551
- Publication 1915 – Understanding Your IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
- Publication 4327(ENG/SP) – ITIN Facilitating Participation in the Tax System
- Publication 4393(ENG/SP) – What is an IRS ITIN Acceptance Agent
- Form W-7 (COA) – Certificate of Accuracy for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
Additional ITIN Information
- How can I obtain an ITIN from abroad?
- Are ITINs valid for identification?
- Are ITINs valid for work purposes?
- Can ITINs be used as proof of identification to obtain a state driver’s license?
- What do I do when I am assigned a social security number (SSN)?
- What ITIN information is available in Spanish?
- What ITIN information is available for tax professionals?
- What is an ITIN Acceptance Agent?
- How can I become an acceptance Agent?
- What information is available for Foreign Property Buyers/Sellers?