Do you care about how Google’s search engine works? If not you should because search engine optimization (SEO) is something you our your web guru must understand to get high search rankings and traffic. Google just announced that it created a website aptly called “How Search Works” to educate us on how Google’s search engine works! Spend some time on the site and educate yourself.
The site lets you follow the entire life of a search query, from the web, to crawling and indexing, to algorithmic ranking and serving, to fighting webspam. The site complements existing resources, the help center, user forums, Webmaster Tools, and in-depth research papers.
A few things you’ll find:
- An interactive, graphical explanation of Google Search
- A view into major search algorithms and features
- A 43-page document explaining how we evaluate our results
- A live slideshow of spam as we remove it
- Graphs illustrating the spam problem and how we fight it
- A list of policies that explain when we’ll remove content
How to Search is intended to illuminate the split-second journey from algorithms to answers.